Children in the Library
1, Parents or legal guardians are always responsible for the well-being and safety of their children.
2. Children under third grade (eight years old) shall, at all times, be attended and adequately supervised by a responsible person over 16 years old while in the Library.
3. Children in third grade and at least eight years old may use the library unattended, subject to other rules and regulations in effect at the Dorothy Alling Memorial Library.
4. The Dorothy Alling Memorial Library assumes no responsibility for children of any age left unattended at the library. Parents or legal guardians assume all liability for damage done by their children to the library facility.
5. The library staff is particularly concerned about children who may be unattended when the library closes. In order to ensure the child's safety after the library closes, a staff member will determine if the child is aware of a pick-up schedule. If not, the child will be invited to make a phone call to make immediate arrangements to get safely home. If no arrangement can be made or a ride does not arrive within 20 minutes after closing and the child is under 12 years old, a staff member will call the Williston Police who will plan for the child to be safely cared for.
6. If the Library must close unexpectedly (e.g. due to extreme weather or power outage after sunset) all children will be asked to notify their parents. Staff will wait with children for 20 minutes after parents have been notified. After 20 minutes, a staff member will call the Williston Police to plan for the care of any remaining children under 12 years of age.